The basement of the church was used for classrooms, and is still being utilized today as the Parish Offices, Hospitality Center and Religious Education classrooms.
At the request of Father Andrew Lariviere, SS.CC, the Dominican sisters started teaching in 1922 in Quonset huts, which were adjacent to the church and with the completion of the upper structure of the church in 1925, the 7th and 8th grades were added. In the 1960’s, Father Alexis Wygers, who was pastor form 1953-1963 began raising $250,000 for the new St. Francis Xavier Elementary School . In 1965, a new modern school building was opened at a cost of about $550,000. At present there are eight grades with pre-school and Kindergarten and a student enrollment of about 230.
Copyright 2011 Saint Francis Xavier Parish - Acushnet, Ma. All rights reserved.